Has your passion for the Olympics thrown a wrench in your workflow? Join the club. Spreadsheets and deadlines versus gymnastics vaults and 100m ‘fly? There’s no contest.
If for some crazy reason you do take a break from the Games — or your boss issues a city-wide kibosh — then spend some time checking out this week’s top digital media resources.
Of course, there are a handful of features to enhance your Olympics experience, both social and otherwise. But there’s also so much more! Browse below to find fantastic tips, tricks and guides to enhance your digital life in the office, on the web and on the go.
- Nerds on Film: 10 Techie Character Types We Love
We love movies featuring nonexistent technology, innovative science, fancy gadgets and robots. Here are our fave character archetypes from tech films.
- 13 Fantastic Subreddits You Should Subscribe To
Need to go a little deeper with your Reddit experience? These 13 communities are a great place to discover fascinating content and culture.
- 5 Ways to Get Email Overload Under Control
The number of emails you receive will continue to grow every year. So what, if anything, can you do? Start with these five tips.
- 8 Human Jobs That Will Survive a Global Robot Takeover
We found eight human jobs that we’ll still need when robots rule the world. Start training now so you can outsmart the overlords.
- 8 Hot Gadgets That Stand Out — At Any Price
Here’s a selection of devices that are — either through price or uniqueness — well worth what you’ll pay for them.
- 13 Tumblrs to Satisfy Your Olympic Appetite
These 13 Tumblrs will keep you up-to-date and entertained with Olympic coverage.
- 18 Social Media Slip-Ups That Will Get You Fired
What not to do: 19 absurd (and sometimes hilarious) Facebook and Twitter updates that won’t impress your boss or potential employer.
- 11 Social Media Tips for the Public Sector
Based on tips from social media directors in the U.S. federal government, here’s a list of social media guidelines in the public sector.
- Music Monday: Mashable’s First MP3s
From Metallica to Kelly Clarkson, on this Music Monday check out the first MP3s Mashable’s staff ever downloaded.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- How Churches Use Social Media [INFOGRAPHIC]
Churches are using social media to increase outreach.
- 10 Moments of Triumph Photographed by Our Readers
Check out these moments of triumph submitted by our readers for this week’s Mashable Photo Challenge.
- 9 Inspiring Photo Blogs You’ll Love
From travel to fashion, these photo blogs will give you a little dose of inspiration and creativity. And maybe a little wanderlust.
- Which Social Networks Take Home the Gold? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Breaking down demographic, geographic and search data that shows which networks are the underdogs and which have mounted the winners’ podium.
- Which US Olympians Have the Most Social Media Influence? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Basketball star LeBron James takes the gold for social media influence.
- Here’s How to Appear Higher on Google Search Results [INFOGRAPHIC]
BrandYourself created this infographic to help you learn how to make results that are actually you appear higher up.
- 15 Travel Twitter Accounts to Follow
Check out these 15 Twitter accounts to follow in the travel industry.
- 13 Bona Fide Geeks to Follow on Twitter
Looking for the geekiest people on Twitter? We’ve created a list of the 13 best geeks to follow.
Business & Marketing
- 10 Tips for a More Beautiful and Functional Home Office
If you work from home, you owe it to yourself to set up a proper office space. We have tips to make it great.
- Are You Your Own Worst Boss?
The self-employed are often overworked, stressed, and underpaid. Here are six ways to be a better boss to yourself.
- 3 Reasons Your Company Still Hasn’t Moved to the Cloud
Cloud-hosted enterprise software is evolving fast. So, who or what may create hesitation about adding new tech to your company?
- How To Work From Anywhere: the Documentary [VIDEO]
The Wireless Generation takes us around the globe to see how mobility has improved working.
- 7 Benefits of Mobile Expense Reporting
Mobile expense reporting essentially automates the entire process. Here is a breakdown of just a few of the benefits.
- How to Ensure Your Subscribers See Images in Emails
Many email users automatically turn off images in their browser. Here’s how to make sure those subscribers don’t miss your creative.
- Marketing to Women? Keep These 3 Facts in Mind
New findings shed light on social media marketing and women. We’ve pulled three important lessons from the data.
- 3 Game Changers in Online Marketing
These are the three current developments that every marketer needs to pay attention to and address.
- How to Capitalize on Web-Generated Sales Leads
So someone is interested in your product. How quickly should you pounce on a web-generated sales lead?
- 5 Reasons to Join a Niche Online Community
If you’re wondering about the pluses to joining a niche social network, here are five reasons B2B professionals like going narrow.
- 5 Tech Companies That Get Content Marketing Right
The following five companies not only have innovative products, but also have insightful blogs with valuable and compelling content.
- 45+ Events in Advertising, Social Media and Marketing
Our Events Board helps event organizers and the Mashable community convene at events in social media, tech, marketing and other fields.
- 5 Things Your Digital Agency Isn’t Telling You
Five things you may never hear from your PR firm.
- How to Build a Company Culture of Experimentation
You have to build a culture of experimentation where testing is part of everything you do. Here’s how you can get started.
Tech & Mobile
- 5 Super Cheap Web Analytics Tools Besides Google
Google Analytics isn’t the only measurement tool. We found five free (or really cheap) alternatives that offer handy features.
- 15 iPhone Apps for Your Summer Getaway
We’ve rounded up 15 apps to make your vacation more efficient, relaxed and fun.
- 15 Texting Faux Pas to Avoid at All Costs
Don’t get a bad texting rep. Avoid these 15 texting gaffes, and your friends and family will thank you.
- 9 Evernote Products You Have to Try
Apart from Evernote’s basic note and archive tools, these products expand the functionality of the app for a richer, more organized experience.
- How to Get the Outlook.com Email Address You Want
If you have a Hotmail address, you don’t automatically get the same address under Outlook.com. Here’s how to make sure you get it.
- How to Change Your Dropbox Password, and Make It Better
Dropbox is the latest tech company to have fallen victim to a security breach, and there’s a good chance your account is at risk.
- How to Turn Your Smartphone Into An Emergency Kit
Here are nine that will help you prepare for, react to, and report emergency situations.
- How Does 3D Printing Work, Anyway? [INFOGRAPHIC]
3D printing is some pretty impressive technology, but how exactly does it work? This infographic breaks down the potential.
- If the Internet Were a Galaxy it Would Look Like This
Russian programmer Ruslan Ekineev created The Internet Map of the world wide web, plotting 350,000 websites as though they were planets.
- 7 Beautiful Timelapse Videos and How They’re Made
Check out some amazing timelapse videos and get a brief overview of the genre.
- 10 Email Extras You Should Be Using for Increased Productivity
Stop wasting time by sticking these 10 email tools into your productivity toolbox.
- 10 Terrific iPad Apps for Toddlers
From potty training to musical experimentation to a digital doll house, these 10 iPad apps are the perfect mix of educational and fun.
- 6 Hot Mobile Games You Need to Play
We’ve rounded up the most talked-about mobile games that are popular right now.
See original article: